Using the internet as a tool for fundraising is a great way to connect with those in your personal and professional life. It’s quick and easy to create your own online fundraiser. Choose between a Facebook fundraiser or create your own fundraising page on CharityWeb.
Creating a Facebook Fundraiser
1. Log in to your Facebook account
2. Click “fundraisers” on the left side menu
3. Under “raise money for a nonprofit” click “select nonprofit”
4. Search for and choose Neighborhood House (make sure you click the one in Saint Paul, Minnesota!)
5. Select how much money you want to raise
6. Select an end date of April 12 (last day of March Food Drive) and click “next”
7. Give your fundraiser a title and explain why you’re raising money for Neighborhood House and click “next”
8. Pick or photo and click “create”
You can then invite Facebook friends to your fundraiser, share your fundraiser on your timeline, and donate to your fundraiser. There are no fees when donating to a nonprofit on Facebook, so Neighborhood House will get 100% of your donation.
Creating a Fundraising Page on CharityWeb
1. Go to https://www.charityweb.net/neighb/mfd
2. Click on “create a fundraising page”
3. Give your fundraiser a title, choose a fundraising goal, and fill out the contact information
4. Click “register” to complete the process
5. Look for a confirmation email in your inbox
If you have questions about March Food Drive, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Sample letter (please personalize):
Neighborhood House is a St. Paul multi-service agency who has provided wrap-around services for immigrant and refugee families since 1897. The life-changing work at Neighborhood House includes our March Food Drive, an annual campaign that aims to fight hunger for Minnesota families. I’m hoping you’ll join us in this effort!
It’s estimated that 1 in 10 families in Minnesota—that’s over 500,000 Minnesotans—are currently experiencing food insecurity, meaning they can’t always afford the food they need for their families. From hardworking low-income families, our seniors on a fixed income, to those faced with a sudden loss of income, our neighbors need our help with getting fresh, nutritious food.
I would like to personally invite you to help Neighborhood House make a difference in the lives our neighbors by participating in this year’s March Food Drive. Please join me in being a part of this effort by donating funds (just $36 will feed a family of 4 for a week), contribute to our Food Markets, host your own food/fund drive or become a Neighborhood House volunteer.
We can do something to change the lives of so many in our community who need our help right now. Thank you so much for considering helping Neighborhood House continue their legacy of giving to those in the community who have the greatest need.
Tips for a successful fund drive:
- State the purpose: Describe the campaign and note what action you’d like the reader to take.
- Make it personal: Explain how you’re connected to the cause or to Neighborhood House.
- Show your gratitude: Express your thanks for the reader considering participating.
- Call to action: Tell people one or two things you’d like them to do. Make it clear (maybe detail how you’ve participated in the campaign).
- Be concise: Messages that are 175-225 in length are the best.
- Use events: Have a birthday or holiday coming up? Use these occasions as a reason to donate to March Food Drive as a gift to you!